Do you ever feel like you’re doing everything you’re supposed to and yet something is missing? Perhaps you’ve checked off every box on your personal life list-you know: finish school, start career, get married, buy home, have kids, etc.? And as grateful as you are for everything you have, you just KNOW there’s something more. But, you hide the way you feel from your friends, your significant other, and your family because you don’t want to seem ungrateful?
Well, that was me.
I was “on track, but off purpose.” I had thirteen years of post-secondary education, two plus degrees, and a potentially lucrative career in oral and maxillofacial surgery. (What the hell is that you ask? It’s everything from removing wisdom teeth, to treating trauma such as gunshot wounds, to reconstructing any pathology that affects the head and neck area. Some pretty intense stuff.) I also had a loving family, a six-year relationship, great friends…and a very empty heart-the kind of empty that makes you cling to the pillow when you wake up for fear of the same unfulfilling day ahead.
Then, everything changed – a break-up, a breakdown, and a breakthrough. Now mind you, the breakdown did involve an episode of being in fetal position on the bedroom floor… but, I digress. It was a necessary step in deconstructing the false identity I had created with all my “accomplishment.”
Only then did I start to listen within. I began to welcome back all the things I’d unconsciously pushed aside in pursuit of what I “should have” wanted. I wholeheartedly re-connected with my real self through writing (my first love), reading, and practicing strategies to get me on purpose for the first time in my adult life. (Subscribe at the top if you want access to these strategies.) Life started to make sense.
HOW THIS SPACE CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE
This is a safe space for your transformation. Let’s get to your core so you can experience all the love, power, and fulfillment you deserve. You’ll uncover purpose, find reinforcement, and be part of a community doing the same.
NOTE: Inspiration will be bite-sized and “woo-woo” will be kept to a minimum. Promise.
So, here’s what you need to do:
Step 1. Sign up! Get your 20 strategies and your weekly wisdom.
Step 2. Join the facebook community. Like it & post often. This is your tribe.
Step 3. Download “The Evolutionary’s Manifesto” for 99 cents. Consider this the jump-off for your new mindset.
LET’S DO THIS!! Now, scroll down if you want to know which part of my anatomy I haven’t seen since I was seven years old…
For interview excerpt, click here.
For audio interview with Spiritual Sage Radio, click here.
10 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME…
- 1. I’m a displaced Canadian. No I don’t like hockey and I never end my sentences with “eh.”
- 2. I have a serious sweet tooth. I’ve been known to ingest several teaspoons of condensed milk in one sitting. Oh hell, I’ve probably done a can. Truth.
- 3. I’m terribly nearsighted. Can’t make out my own breasts if my contacts aren’t in.
- 4. I take showers in the dark (dim light). Every shower is a sacred experience…besides, I can’t see anything, anyway. (read above)
- 5. I love the imagery of WonderWoman. I equally love Elizabeth Benett from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Ms. Benett is the epitome of an understated badass. Love.
- 6. I curse. Not all of the time but I strongly feel that nothing gets the point across like a well placed expletive.
- 7. I despise raisins. I especially hate those little red Sun-Maid raisin boxes. They remind me of snack time in elementary school where I would just choose to go hungry. It’s not like there wasn’t a graham cracker somewhere in the vicinity that could have been given to me…but I digress.
- 8. I’m a part-time hermit. I’m immune to cabin fever and can easily spend days alone.
- 9. I cry easily. It doesn’t take much to choke me up. An emotional 30 second ad can easily take me down.
- 10.Under no circumstances am I to be left alone with Red Velvet cake. I can’t go into details, but trust when I say no dessert should be subjected to the gluttonous torture I am bound to inflict.
Dr. Frances Emelia Sam has been a part of Howard University’s faculty since 2001. She’s an assistant professor in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Although she was very captivated during her four-year residency, she discovered that she was more drawn to mending broken spirits than mending broken bones. Since that time, she has structured her life so as to honor that calling.
Emelia, who prefers to leave out the Dr. and Frances for that matter, keeps busy building a tribe of purpose minded individuals. This community, called 360SOUL, supports people who are on a path to achieving personal fulfillment and inner peace. She is the author of “I Haven’t Found Myself, but I’m Still Looking” and “How to Create the Life You Really Want: 20 Small Strategies for Big Changes.” Her articles have been featured on several popular sites in the inspirational realm including: Tiny Buddha, MindBodyGreen, and Positively Positive. She is also the host of the 360SOUL sessions, a free monthly teleseminar providing personal development from a spiritual perspective.